|Title:||Senior Food Technologist|
|Location:||Kansas City, MO (RSC Corporate Headquarters)|
The Russell Stover R&D team is helping to shape the future of the US chocolate market through world-class innovation. Become part of a progressive team that innovates, develops, tastes, and proposes new products for future launch in market. This position reports to the Director of Product Creation. In this role, you will be the subject matter expert for chocolate ingredient functionality and formulations in order to create the best product experiences possible. You will exhibit leadership in high priority, complex, cross-functional new product development activities and optimization of current products and processes. You will be accountable for overall product design, development, testing, and scale-up in our factories.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading the development of new products and key product and process improvements by utilizing your knowledge of the functionality of basic ingredients, ways to manipulate those ingredients, and the interactions between ingredients.
- Working in a cross-functional team environment with Manufacturing/Operations, Marketing, Innovation, Quality, Regulatory, and Co-manufacturers to develop new products and improve the existing product portfolio.
- Documenting and effectively communicating formulas, research protocols, and conclusions for peer understanding.
- Collaborating with R&D Food Technology peers on ingredient, formula, and process specifications to help ensure product quality, safety, and consistency.
- Seeking out new processing techniques and science to create and introduce unique and interesting products to the Russell Stover portfolio.
- Bringing unique knowledge on ingredient functionality to optimize formulas for best processing.
- Ensuring sound decision making throughout the stage gate process resulting in high quality and cost effective delivery of products.
- Supporting an effective scale-up strategy for new products and providing technical assistance to factory personnel for successful launch.
- Guaranteeing compliance with internal and external policies, quality standards, and legal requirements.
- Maintaining hands-on responsibility in all aspects of the product development process from bench top to full-scale production (commercialization).
This role will require 4 – 6 weeks of training Monday- Friday at our manufacturing plant in Montrose, CO. Will also require ongoing travel 20%-30% of the time mainly in the US with occasional international trips (1-2 per year).
TO BE CONSIDERED AN APPLICANT FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST SHOW HOW YOU MEET THE BASIC QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Food Engineering or other natural science
- Minimum 3 years of experience in food industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of functionality of ingredients and interactions with stabilizers and emulsifiers, and successful track record in product formulations/commercialization of new product platforms
- Master’s degree highly preferred
- 5+ years of experience in food industry; knowledge and experience with chocolate is preferred
- Highly efficient at managing multiple product development initiatives, planning, and staying on tight timelines.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral. Strong ability to make presentations to customers and internal colleagues, including members of the senior management team.
- Excellent analytical, mechanical and technical problem solving skills
- Comfortable operating laboratory, pilot plant, and plant equipment.
- Experience entering data and generating reports in a product lifecycle management software system.
- Self-starter with strong initiative to seek improvements.
- Able to naturally blend-in with a fast-paced product development team.
Russell Stover Chocolates is the nation’s leading manufacturer of boxed chocolates. The company’s three brands – Russell Stover, Whitman’s and Pangburn’s - account for more than 60 percent of all boxed chocolate sales in the United States through 20+ company-owned retail stores and 70,000 wholesale accounts. After nearly 100 years in operation the company manufactures approximately 100 million pounds of chocolate candies each year in its proud tradition of being “Made in America” and “Handcrafted in Small Batches”.
In September 2014, Russell Stover Chocolates was acquired by Lindt and Sprungli, the world leader in premium chocolates. This was the largest acquisition in the history of Lindt and Sprungli which has operations in over 40 countries across the globe. Russell Stover Chocolates joins sister companies Lindt USA and Ghirardelli to form a powerful confectionery triad in North America.
Employment by Russell Stover Chocolates is contingent upon I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, passing the urinalysis drug screen, education verification, and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Russell Stover Chocolates is an EOE/MINORITY/FEMALE/VET/DISABLED employer. Principals only please.