|Title:||Senior Manager, Food Science|
|Location:||Kansas City, MO (RSC Corporate Headquarters)|
The Senior Manager, Food Science is responsible for ensuring that the principles of Food Science are integrated into the development, manufacture and end-use of the Company’s products. This position reports to the Vice President, Innovation and Development.
Leading a team that works within the Innovation function driving the new product development process, with responsibilities for raw materials, PLM system, technical transfer, product sensory and stability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive product development cycle which results in consumer preferred formulas for new and existing products
- Manage the New Product Development (NPD) cycle by collaborating with Marketing department on new product ideas, Product Creation team on development and perform sensory evaluation of samples for their refinement
- Support Line Trials of approved samples
- Ownership of NPD sample program
- Scientific knowledge for problem solving
- Compusense software
- New product development evaluations
- Research such as external consumer central location taste tests and internal employee taste panels to measure acceptability of new products
- Shelf-life evaluations of new products and other test variables
- Cross-functional support executing shelf life sensory panels of Operations variables as needed
- Direct the Company’s shelf-life testing program
- Set shelf life and stability standards for new products through risk assessments
- Scientifically analyze new and existing products to ensure they are chemically and microbiologically stable, and will remain wholesome throughout defined shelf life
- Lead the development, approval and execution of all raw material specifications with supplier documentation
- Drive overall progress in quality and landscape of raw material portfolio such as non-GMO, RSPO, Fair Trade or other desired certifications
Product Improvements and Business Continuity
- Improvement or reformulation of existing products in response to needs based on concerns or issues from consumer complaints, Operations, Regulatory or Procurement
- Drive complaint reduction through focused efforts on fat bloom and off flavor
- Analyze food safety and food quality data including finished product results, ingredient issues, leading to actions that drive food safety and quality improvement
Process and System
- Product Development PLM ownership of DevEx system and data (formulas, piece builds, candy packs)
- Technical transfer of data interface with SAP
- Improvement and identification of internal work streams and systems
Team and Culture
- Influence team by modelling and teaching of RSC values
- Develop team through hiring and professional development of team members
- Supervision of four, including interns and contractors as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Nutrition, Microbiology, or related scientific field
- 10 years of progressive experience in Food Science or R&D
- Excellent data analysis skills with the ability to interpret data at a high level for a non-scientific audience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
- In-depth knowledge of shelf life and stability standards
- Master’s degree in Food Science, Nutrition, Microbiology, or related scientific field
- Experience in Confectionary
- Experience conducting and evaluating sensory and stability testing
- Experience managing or supervising others
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Approximately 20% travel to manufacturing facilities, trade shows, and suppliers
- Physical demands include sitting and standing for extended periods of time, repetitive hand movement, and lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds.
In September 2014, Stover Chocolates was acquired by Lindt and Sprungli, the world leader in premium chocolates. This was the largest acquisition in the history of Lindt and Sprungli which has operations in over 40 countries across the globe. Russell Stover Chocolates joins sister companies Lindt USA and Ghirardelli to form a powerful confectionery triad in North America.
Employment by Stover Chocolates is contingent upon I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, passing the urinalysis drug screen, education verification, and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Russell Stover Chocolates is an EOE/MINORITY/FEMALE/VET/DISABLED employer.